Today, humans are encircled with various destructive habits that are hampering the growth of an individual and facilitating the development of various lifestyle diseases.
One such lifestyle disease that can be easily observed in the youth is obesity. The sedentary eating habits, social media, gaming, and issues like binge eating have made the disease of obesity a very common issue in today’s society.
When obesity exceeds the safety limit, it becomes almost negligible for a person to alter their weight and become healthy again with common methods such as dieting and exercising.
Surgical interventions such as bariatric surgeries come into play when such cases occur. Bariatric surgeries use surgical methods to cut down the fat in the body and alter the functioning of an individual’s digestive system.
One of the most commonly practiced bariatric surgeries in the world is gastric bypass surgery. This is a complex process and is functional across the globe.
Gastric bypass surgery is also performed by many physicians in India. Usually, the gastric bypass treatment cost in India starts from Rs. 257520 for domestic patients. ( USD 5220 for international patients seeking treatment in India).
If you want to know more about gastric bypass surgery and its treatment cost in India, then keep reading this blog till the end!
What is a Gastric Bypass Procedure?
Gastric bypass or Roux-en-Y gastric bypass is a type of bariatric surgery that is done to remove the rigid fat in the body, which cannot be reduced with diet and exercise.
In the gastric bypass procedure, a professional bariatric surgeon makes some alterations in the stomach anatomy to transform the absorption and accumulation of food in the body.
During this process, a surgeon attempts to create a new smaller pouch in the stomach for the food and connects it directly to the small intestine, which enables the ingested food materials to travel directly into the pouch and then the small intestine.
Why is it Performed?
A gastric bypass procedure plays an important role in modifying the life of an overweight person as it limits the amount of food in the stomach, leading to fixed absorption of calories and nutrients in the body. It also alters gut hormone functioning, making the person feel full for longer durations.
Apart from the advantages of this procedure, an individual may also undergo this surgery to reduce the risk of diverse serious ailments that can arise from obesity, such as cancers, strokes, heart diseases, etc.
This is a significant treatment procedure for people who cannot reduce weight through exercising and dieting and whose BMI ( body mass index) is above 40 ( extreme obesity).
Are There Any Risks Or Side Effects Linked To This Procedure?
Gastric bypass is a complex surgical intervention and can possess both short and long-term risks like any other medical procedure. Some of the most common side effects of gastric bypass treatment are:
- Reaction to anesthesia
- Breathing issues
- Gastrointestinal issues
- Bowel issues
- Blood clots
- Stomach issues
Depending upon various factors, these side effects can occur to different degrees in different patients. Some of these effects can easily be caught.
It is important to consult your physician in case there is a severity in any of these factors for better management of the problem and speedy recovery.
How Affordable is Gastric Bypass Treatment In India?
Gastric bypass is the common type of bariatric surgery that anyone throughout the world can assess.
India is also one of the countries delivering fine gastric bypass treatment to global patients that too under a low budget.
Usually, the gastric bypass treatment cost in India starts from Rs. 257520 and can go up to Rs. 343360 for Indian patients. For international patients, the expense can be between USD 5220 to USD 6380.
This is a highly reasonable expense that can be afforded by most people and is also relatively cheaper than the treatment expenses in numerous European and Western countries.
So, it can be concluded that the gastric bypass treatment cost in India is highly cheap and affordable. This makes India one of the best locations to get cost-effective treatment around the world!
Which are the Top 5 Bariatric Surgeons In India For Your Gastric Bypass Treatment?
Below, we have mentioned the best bariatric surgeons in India for gastric bypass surgery:
Dr. Satish N
- With a vast experience of nearly 25 glorious years, Dr. Satish N is one of the best Laparoscopic and General Surgeons based in Bangalore, India.
- He is exceptionally proficient in handling diverse cases, including complex GI operations like complex high anal fistula repair,video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery, bariatric surgery, complex hernia repair, and acute trauma management.
- Some areas of his clinical specialization include high anal fistulas, essential upper & lower GI endoscopy, laparoscopic vaginal hysterectomy, thyroid & neck surgery, breast surgery, diabetic septic foot care, hepatobiliary, pancreatic surgeries, and many other procedures.
Dr. Arun Prasad
- Dr. Arun Prasad is a well-known Obesity and Bariatric Surgeon based in New Delhi, India, with a rich knowledge of more than 34 years in this domain.
- He is one of the world’s youngest surgeons to have experience in conducting over 7000 successful laparoscopic procedures.
- He has marked his name by becoming the first in the world to successfully perform gallbladder fistula laparoscopic operation and thoracoscopic removal of hydatid cyst of the lungs.
Dr. Ramen Goel
- Based in Mumbai, India, Dr. Ramen Goel is one of the best Bariatric Surgeons in the country, with a rich experience of more than 33 years in the field.
- He is exceptionally qualified in performing surgical procedures such as banded gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, laparoscopic gastric band surgery, revision bariatric surgery, and many other bariatric procedures.
- Dr. Goel has acquired special training in bariatric surgery from countries like France and the USA and is the first physician in India to successfully perform the laparoscopic gastric band and banded gastric bypass surgery.
Dr. Ajay Kumar Kriplani
- Dr. Ajay Kumar Kriplani is a distinguished and widely respected Laparoscopic and Gastrointestinal Surgeon in India, practicing successfully for more than 33 years.
- He is one of the few surgeons to introduce laparoscopic operation in India and is the first physician to perform procedures like laparoscopic live donor nephrectomy, laparoscopic adrenalectomy, and laparoscopic splenectomy for renal transplant in the country.
- He has been recognized with various renowned certifications and awards, including the glorious Dr. S.R. Joglekar Award and Dr. N. Sethuraman Oration for his eminent skills and faithful contribution to the field.
Dr. Jagdish Chander
- With eminent experience of nearly 32 years, Dr. Jagdish Chander is a well-known General Surgeon based in Noida, India.
- He is incredibly specialized in performing laparoscopic procedures and has conducted maximum laparoscopic CBD investigations and pyelolithotomy in India with impressive results.
- Throughout his medical career, he has successfully executed more than 30,000 complex laparoscopic operations, including Whipple’s procedure, nephrectomies, adrenalectomies, colectomies, gastrectomies, esophagectomies, bariatric surgeries, etc.
- He has been honored with diverse reputed awards, including the ‘State Award for Excellence in Medicine’ by the Government of NCT, Delhi.
Hence, gastric bypass is a type of weight loss procedure that is performed in cases of extreme obesity, when it is impossible to reduce weight through general methods such as exercise and diet.
When it comes to this procedure, India is one of the most preferred locations for a variety of reasons. The progressive healthcare industry in India offers treatment equipped with the latest technology and by highly qualified medical professionals.
The gastric bypass treatment cost in India is also cheaper than in other countries, making it the best choice to avail of this treatment at a high quality and reasonable cost.