Discord servers are a great method to make online friends, chat with them, and communicate using voice chat while playing video games. Although Discord’s community-friendly design makes it ideal for vibrant discussions, users do run into some dangers. Getting banned from Discord is one of these. In this write-up, we will discuss how to unban someone on discord and different types of ban.
How To Unban Someone On Discord?
a) From Desktop Application
As a server moderator or admin, you have the ability to undo bans and unban users from your Discord server through the desktop app. Here is the process of how how to unban someone on discord on desktop:
- Open your Discord server and click the dropdown arrow next to the server name at the top left. Select “Server Settings” from the menu.
- On the left sidebar in Settings, click “Bans”. This will open the ban list for your server.
- The ban list shows all current and previously banned users. Click the red “Unban” button next to the user you wish to unban.
- A pop-up will appear asking you to confirm unbanning the user. Double check you have selected the correct user, then click “Unban” to confirm.
- The user will be immediately removed from the ban list, indicating they are now unbanned from your server. They will be able to rejoin the server once again.
- It is recommended to also send the unbanned user a direct message informing them they have been unbanned and are welcome to rejoin the community if they wish.
- If you know how to unban someone on discord, you can optionally set role restrictions on the unbanned user or establish a probationary period to monitor their behaviour upon rejoining.
b) On Mobile
If you are an admin or moderator on a Discord server, you can unban users who were previously banned directly through the mobile app. Here are the steps:
- Open the Discord app and select the server you want to unban someone from. Tap the server name at the top to open the server menu.
- Scroll down and select “Server Settings” from the menu. This will open the overall settings for that server.
- Now tap “Moderation” along the side to open the moderation settings. Next, tap “Bans” to view the ban list.
- This list will show all users who are currently or have previously been banned from the server. Tap the red “Unban” button next to the user you want to unban.
- A confirmation pop-up will appear. Double check you have selected the correct user to unban, then tap “Unban” in this pop-up to confirm your action.
- The user’s name will disappear from the ban list, indicating the unban was successful. The user can now join and participate in your server again.
- It is good practice to also send the unbanned member a direct message from the app informing them they can return to the server. Let them know the ban was reversed.
- If needed, set role restrictions on the member when they return.
Types of Ban on Discord
Now that you know how to unban someone on discord, let’s have a look at the main types of bans are:
1. Temporary Ban
A temporary ban blocks a user from accessing or participating in the server for a set duration determined by the moderator. Common temporary ban lengths are 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, etc. This ban type is useful for first-time or minor infractions, or cooling off overly heated arguments. Once the time period expires, the ban is automatically lifted and the user can rejoin.
2. Permanent Ban
A permanent ban permanently prohibits the user from ever joining the server again on that account. It cannot be undone or expired, unlike temporary bans. Permanent bans are reserved for serious or repeat rule violations. IP bans can also be issued to prevent permanently banned users from rejoining on alternate accounts.
3. Server Ban
Server bans only prohibit the user from a single server. Their overall Discord account remains active and they can still access other servers they’ve joined. A server ban is issued by moderators of that specific server. Temporary and permanent server bans are the most common moderation actions.
4. Account Ban
In rare cases of severe, widespread abuse, Discord may choose to ban the user’s entire Discord account from the platform. This terminates their access across all current and future Discord servers using that account. Account bans can only be issued by Discord itself, not individual server moderators.
5. Soft Ban
A soft ban keeps the user in the server but makes them unable to interact with it in any way. Their messages are not visible, they cannot react, and they see no chat history. It essentially makes them invisible. Soft bans allow monitoring banned users or avoiding provoking them further.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What permissions allow banning members?
A: The Ban Members permission is required to ban users. This is granted to moderators and admins.
Q: What is the difference between a ban and a kick?
A: A ban prohibits rejoining permanently or for a set time. A kick removes them but allows rejoining immediately.
Q: Does a ban delete their messages?
A: No, bans don’t automatically delete messages. You must manually delete them.
Q: Can someone evade a ban with another account?
A: Yes, but IP bans can prevent this. Server mods can only ban accounts though, not IPs.
Q: Is there a way to automatically ban members?
A: Yes, if you know how to unban someone on discord, you can configure AutoMod bot to automatically ban members meeting certain conditions.
Q: Where can a banned user appeal their ban?
A: Banned users can appeal via Server Settings > Moderation > Message Moderators.
As sometimes bans were issued mistakenly or are no longer warranted after a cool down period, knowing how to unban someone on discord allows you to correct the mistake. Unbanning can allow valuable contributors back into the community. It also shows good faith, promotes positive behaviour going forward, and gives second chances. Thoughtfully unbanning and setting expectations can resolve issues and strengthen server relationships long-term.